Thursday, October 23, 2014

Learning and Unlearning

I will continue with my story soon, but had to share a personal realization that I just made. This whole idea of "this" and "that" OR "right" and "wrong" is really going out the window for me these days. FOR EXAMPLE! I think we all at some point or another give meditation a try. For some it seems to be 'the be all, end all' of their spiritual practice. I have not gotten there yet and I'm not holding my breath.

First, meditating for me is not glamorous or special. It really isn't. I sit and I stare at the wall. I don't enjoy closing my eyes. Sitting cross legged is uncomfortable. So guess what? I don't. And if I am doing good it might last 6 minutes. MAYBE. That's it. The new age community really is another "box" to put ourselves in. Someone told us all that we had to sit for 30 mins (or even an HOUR!) and "clear our minds" and "let go of thought", etc. etc. NOPE. Actually, in my opinion, the best thing to do is to learn all that nonsense and then POOF- let it go. I do think that learning about thoughts and learning about "letting go of thoughts" is important, don't get me wrong. But I am starting to see that it is equally as important to unlearn that idea. Because, guess what? Once you "learn" it - you don't have to "do" it anymore. You just stare at the wall for however long you want and trust in yourself. Period. Pretty simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment